Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What Color Eyebrows If My Hair Is Violet?

Religiously interrupting your being since February 2001


Neil, Friday, 11 April 2008, 20:49 clock

Religious disturbing your existence since 2001 I'm brain dead grad something - yesterday I flew to LA late afternoon had a meeting about a movie I will write based on one of my books (I think I can at this time are not accurate, at least not until the contracts are signed or I had an OK to talk about it), and it was really good. My producer is an author, and we sat together and were of one opinion, what should I do. The worst thing about writing for someone else is, and that was especially films, I notice multiple times over the years, when you talk to an editor or producer and you think you are talking about the same. Then you separate yourself, you do what you thought to have agreed, and it goes a bit and discovered how wrong it was, and while it describes as a romantic love story with ghosts now they have a chilling ghost story, with perhaps a touch of love is in there, and all are unhappy and the project failed. In any case, the class will be here, I think - it felt as if we were talking about the same book and the same movie.
Then my cell phone rang and I found myself in a hospital emergency room again, embarrassed to visit a friend who had just been admitted elsewhere and wanted to be. On the whole it was not as severe as ER
still as funny as
Scrubs, but I felt definitely, as I was walked into the American television wonderland. Late back at the hotel I had a past due Articles about crossover fiction for the British Writers and Artists Yearbook worked
,
because they have asked me to write something for them, and because the issue of the Yearbook of 1983, a really important part was that I had, when I set out to become a journalist.

The alarm clock at five in the morning and going to the airport to fly home. Have the articles for the yearbook in the Northwest lounge completed. Have it sent. I heard that they are expected in Minneapolis "crippling" snow, but it was only rain to snow and was only when I was safely home. And it was vital that I returned on time, because I had to be home for ... The night of friends. Although I am the adults present. The main roles Maddy and five of their 13-14-year old girlfriends, which I chauffeur (to the cinema and back), advisor ("you can probably more cheese pack this nachos"), things-in-the-oven-digit and most importantly - because they all just Prom Night had seen and were a bit lively - Provider of helpful tips ("You better stay all together tonight after all it is a big, old house, and when you consider how many people here over the years. died ... well, I've already said too much ...") games. It takes place during I type in here. ...
An article about blogging authors


The Age
,


in which we learn that my blog is no longer what it once was. Probably true, although in the last seven years, every now and again had such phases. Nevertheless, if I go this summer on a research trip, I will probably not blog for a while and write everything in notebooks.
A Wonderful Article on Daily Telegraph Fantasy in by Mark Chadbourn . For his book The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke I once initiation have written. If I can find them, I put it in here. It revolves mainly around Richard Dadd, one of my other quirks.

...
Hi Neil, I thought it might interest you here:

http://www.thedesignfiles.net/2008/04/interview-nicholas-jones.html



to make such amazing sculptures out of books fascinated me (and makes me cringe a little - no, not books "- but still it's nice:)).
They are beautiful, is not it? You write great Books. You were even times my favorite author, but then I got my Virconium series of M. John Harrison because the bottom was small on it "with an introduction by Neil Gaiman.
is now my favorite author M. John Harrison and Virconium is my bible. You've even chased away from first place. Discharges are like little bridges from author to author. Thank you build so many.


Ironically,


Evan



PS The introduction is quite good.
're welcome. Mike Harrison is one of my Lieblinsgautoren - I am delighted that he is yours now.
I just wanted to say that your work interfere with my religious life !!!!!
I hope that is good.

I feel a little left grad. I had a wonderful conversation with one of my professors about our admiration for your books. But first we had a tough discussion that I have to rewrite my Geschcihte for him. Again. Why? Because he does not not credible, found that the character - a cop - think certain thoughts or be concerned or want something for a shooting star would.


police officers are only human, right? They include a rape case be disturbed even though they are experienced police officers? You still have feelings?


[sigh] This is motivated by cursing your statement that 95% of which ends up in your drafts at the end in the finished book. Was it always like this? Gabs a time when someone has rejected your work, because they believed in what you write is unrealistic? Or they leave you more freedom, because you usually write in magical fantasy worlds?


A student who says her name because her professor will read the page here

(let aside that he will notice them anyway, because she has betrayed too many details ...)

me.

Let me see. To answer the obvious Fargen First, there was ever someone who has rejected my work as unrealistic? Probably, although no concrete example comes to mind grad. Normally reject siesie because it is not good enough. You never have a reader satisfied that police officers do something when they see a shooting star. You have to convince your readers that this one

cop would. You must make your characters around enough that the reader almost expected that this police officer wants something if they see a shooting star ..
No one can
in Fantasy more freedom, just as in romantic or historical fiction or even non-fiction. It's called suspension of disbelief, and writing it is what you do and what you build, and it is as thin as a soap bubble. They burst easily. (I remember to have once been fucked by Rachel Pollack for something in one of my short stories. "But that's the only one in history, the is true
" I told her. "It does not matter whether it is true , "she said." It is only important if it is credible in the context of history. "And I knew she was right.)
way, I found that the police in the United States and Great Britain was always very helpful to authors, or at least to me. Nothing is better than a day to be on the road with a policeman, or to have shown a guard and ask nosy questions in order to write an author you can believe. And conviction and security are half the battle ..

I recently bought in an antiquarian and suddenly realized that I do not know how writers earn their money. I get along with advances and royalties (zumnidest something) But
first Writers also get royalties on used books? Sales figures include only new, so ...

second And book clubs? Earns it?


I earn enough to buy me new books, but that was not always so - I am not trying to denigrate bookstores and libraries. If more money to buy new books for the authors (and illustrators) means, which leads to new books, then I buy it again.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to "The Graveyard Book" (wish though I do, it would already be out there to deal with the horrible spring weather coincide)

ethane

No, used books have authors nothing, but for the we have indeed already paid once. Someone has bought time and I'm happy with the fact that they are resold. (How times in

Wired
(
whole answer to me here


) and
have said repeatedly here in this diary : If you buy one of my books (or sent for review gets), it belongs to you. did you buy it (or paid to get). You can resell it. I do not have a problem with Amazon lists used copies still the second-hand section of a bookstore. It Is your store. you can buy new books, as a bound book or in paperback, you can find it used or as a collector's item. I do not mind. I am only interested to read people. As I have long and wide

explained here in this diary

, which last month in Wired

was quoted as books do not come with one single user license, and I think this is a good thing.

And in the last six years I have not changed my opinion about it. writers benefit from book clubs - The club does not pay royalties for each book They usually pay a fee to the publisher, which is shared with the author, to be allowed to publish the book (often in a smaller form or cheaper Paier than the original) or make a contract with the publisher, normal expenditures to print (the book club edition of Stardust for example as the original DC output, the same when it comes to size and binding and paper, for they have at the end of the pressure just a few thousand more books with the club logo printed).

Hi Neil!

I have a book by a grad German authors read, borrowed from some of your stories, especially from Never Land. The story is (a) in London, and Mr. Croup and Mr. Vandemaar come forward (with other names), and some other detail was awfully familiar.
I was just wondering, what do you say when someone else is using "your" ideas and characters. Do you mind that? Honor it up? Does it interest you at all?

I hope you have answered this question yet, but if so, I could not find it in my blog and would like to have a tip.

Thanks in advance!

L.


It is, imitation is the sincerest form of Shcmeichelns, and frankly I feel most flattered when I hear something. It has more great if the people who do that, you cite as an influence or thank you in the Foreword or so, but I do not so much.



0 comments:

Post a Comment