Neil, Tuesday, 8 April 2008, 13:10 Get ready before that one or another initiation appears here - it seems to me to be more fun these things from time to time to throw in the blog and to collect from Webgoblin, as she easily send order that he might make a new, well-equipped department in Cool Stuff
(http://www.neilgaiman.com/p/Cool_Stuff under
, for those of you who are on the feed readers ) read. This is the introduction for Joe Sanders collection of scientific work on The Sandman, The Sandman Papers , published by Fantagraphics few years ago.
There are introductions and there are introductions and there are instructions and then there are those like this, where I have to complete a book that has some kind of connection to me, and I have no idea what I'm really add to this book in your hand I can. Nevertheless, I must try it.
At a conference on the element of fantasy in art, I once took part in a presentation of three works on my work, one of which is reprinted here, and after every presentation I was asked if I would have to say something , which is about as honest as if one is asked for his own autopsy, if one wants to talk about it. (My answers varied, at least in my memory, from "Um, thank you. That was very thoughtful of you." To "Um, without trying to be disrespectful, if the Output have read that you quote, I do not think the fact is so ...". But be that I just smiled and nodded)
These were, however, -. Other than the correction of an error or other objective - just my opinions, and I do not think is privileged. If you have written something, it belongs to a no longer: it belongs to other people, and all these other opinions about it, and each of these opinions is as accurate as those of the authors - perhaps even more. Because these people have read the work as something completely new, and apart from amnesia, the author will never be able to. There will be too many versions of the ghost story that stand in his way, and even apart from the author can not read the first time and wonder what will happen next, or compare it with other things that he or she has read.
So I am - even it if my own views differ from some of the presented conclusions - but quite happy with the fact that these opinions exist, however, have the people who have come to these conclusions, my work for the first time read, which is more than I have ever achieved. Sometimes I have these arguments opened the eyes of my work and showed me that everything is contained, as I had intended. I was praised and damned for wisdom for random things I'm not sure to have done. And I've always enjoyed, because I always had a healthy respect for science. Even if it confuses me, she treats art as if it were important. And for those of us who are artists, this is a fine experience.
I am particularly pleased again and again given the scientific attention, the comics - in part because I think we need the best critical minds, to show to what we do and to explain it to us, and in some cases, for the most part soagr because it shows how things change. (Ten years ago I was eingelden of the artistic faculties of American University, and was informed apologetically that the Anglistik, um, would boycottieren my talk because I C
omics
write. Today, the invitations come from the Anglistik ...
)
One thing I should mention is that Joe Sanders (There are two of that name in this book, just to confuse you. I speak of the publisher.) is not only a good and shrewd critic and teacher is excellent, but is also used tirelessly added that this book could appear. I hope this book is just the beginning of a printed and collected dialogue z is wipe those who make comics, and those who tell us what we did.
Neil Gaiman
January 10, 2006 ....
It is awful, a number of
Amazon to read book reviews and giggling like a schoolboy. But I have read here and giggled.
0 comments:
Post a Comment