Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How Much Is A Color At Jcpenneys Salon

our sales problems on the track - a self-experiment. Part I




To get reliable data about the difficulties in this period average older books to sell, I decided 14 days to submit to me a self-experiment. The only way I can control my actions and define standards.

I sorted out my largely uncontrolled stock I have in a large old building, in basements etc. accumulated in 30 years, all should permit which apply to:

* Subject theology , both confessions, both the subject of theology and popular piety in (under exclusion of the treatise literature and religious poetry)

* Period 1800-1930

* Average BookFinder / ZVAB under 50 €, but for 10 €

I spent the last two weeks of Advent to the task, by watching the more than 20,000 unordered books of all subjects were, in which some in three or four rows (narrow and wide Sten- boards, sat Sapienti). Half dead, covered with dust and moldy, I re-emerged from the chaos on.

The number of titles in terms of theology was now manageable, such as 5000 titles , no more, if only because other subjects dominate in my buying area have a tradition, as are as trivial novels, mostly from 1860 to 1920, infinite Militaria series, brochures, and non-books ( which I am very happy today), paper, paper ...

From the book types and topics ago I observe now in "my" theology is a positive balance, which is not least so that I could never buy a closed theological library, but in presbyteries of three denominations in the buying area'm well aware.

The next steps I undertook are, of course all colleagues familiar

* alphabetical order by first letter, then select a letter to the first treatment, I chose "B", and here again the breakdown of "Ba" (sometimes up to "Be"). It was roughly 120 titles, always limited to the period 1800-1930.

* query all the tracks (it was hardly the way multiple tracks while ) in book finder. I advise all colleagues to look in the parenthesis, in addition, prices are not in ZVAB, but in book finder, for many reasons, which we can discuss another time. The main reason is of course the more realistic price Manageable to * down * down, but in old or titles is also difficult the very brilliant performance of the variant titles there very helpful. Book Finder is faster now, thank God. be

* elimination of all titles that be more than about 3 times offered may also expensive at 4 or 5, and / or the in average less than about 12 Eur lie.

remained after this operation, of the 120 titles ba (-be) still 43 left. - Reason for the elimination of the cheap and / or frequent track the consideration has been that I do not press down the results by a taking in of the multiple and the book title would have.

useful is the title transfer to System Wiesler is also for newer titles, I must reject this method of quality-as well as lack of time for older titles. That brings the one hand, too many time-consuming mistakes, on the other agrees with Wiesler the quality is not (always). So I put her on a number of such tabs in Firefox, directly usable land title ("ISBD files") provide great books from databases. For about 2 / 3 of all databases you can extract it, of course, one must often look for the entrance to the ISBD laboriously. But once he has been found and are quoted, goes pointed pretzel baking.

In the case of the older theology was (in order of usefulness) VThK , Then KVK, here of course, only the GVK-access and excellent Baden-Württemberg-catalog model, etc., while Bayern faster in terms of title extraction is a place of horror and German Library in Leipzig (we speak of the retrospective conversion of older titles) and State Library Berlin dashed through unspeakable Titelschluderei. Furthermore, we can speak a some other time.

Thanks primarily affecting the well-kept, quite surprisingly good VThK I could from all sources contain a total of 40 directly APGVis of 43 titles , of course, to Wordpad, to get rid of some pretty tricky formatting to all cases.

Then I sat, for every Title of hand (read asterisk later easiest) to create the CSV file the necessary asterisk, in my case, before or between

Author * Title * Description * * year number * Price * Note * Keywords

which I subsume under "Year" place, publisher and year, "Description" page number and Einbandart under "Note" means the condition of the book. To fill the "Keywords" I renounce for the time being, for lack of time. I present to you the finished transfer file, ready for transferring to ZVAB, sometimes in a section before:

"Author ~ Title ~" Year "~" media key "~" Description "~" number "~" price "~" Note "~" Keywords "
"Bachmann, Philipp:"~" Nun aber halte ich Dein Wort : ausgewählte Predigten / von Philipp Bachmann. - "~"München : Kaiser : 1932. - "~0~"OLn VIII, 194 S."~"tb01"~13~"schön erhalten"~
~"Liber duodecim prophetarum : Textum masoreticum accuratissime expressit, e fontibus Masorae varie illustravit, notis critics confirmavit ... / Hrsg. von Seckel Baer. - "~"Lipsiae : Tauchnitz, 1878. - "~~"Hln. X, 102 S., Einheitssacht.: Prophetae minores"~"tb02"~12~"sehr klarer Druck"~
~"Liber Genesis : Textum masoreticum accuratissime expressit, e fontibus masorae varie illustravit, notis criticis / confirmavit S. Baer; praefatus Fri Delitzsch. - "~" Leipzig: Tauchnitz, 1869. - "~ ~" Hln. VIII, 96 p. "~" TB03 "~ 12 ~" clear print "~
" Alonzo L. Baker: "~" The hope of the world. "~" Pacific Press, Brookfield 1926th "~ ~" OLN. 384 pages "~" tb04 "~ ~ 19" front joints loosened. - Impressive style illustrates the Pentecostal and tent mission in the USA "~
Philip Balzofiore" ~ "Life History of the Venerable Servant of God Anna Maria Taigi: (1769 - 1837) / Philip Balzofiore, übrsetzt by: Wimmer, Boniface. 2, unchanged. Ed 1873rd "~" Regensburg [ua]: Pustet, 1873 ." OBroschur XVI, 134 S.: Ill., from the Ital. trans. "~" tb05 "~ 24 ~" brochure unopened yet, last leaves little bent "~

The asterisks have been because the ZVAB wants, here simply converted to Tilden ~, the program offers the opportunity to automate.

The next steps for the treatment of the CSV file I made with " OpenOffice CALC " (freeware), I warn explicitly of the expensive Windows spreadsheet program. - The first bit tricky transformation of the CSV table into the database txt program is also required for computer-illiterates like me not magic. One must learn to once a week, then it sits.

Then I scanned * Every * track with a very fast-A3 scanner (an ancient Epson GT-15000).

After suffering in cheaper A4 scanners that had brought me to a frenzy, I have been working happily with this machine. She has quite a stubborn Ebay Used price of 400-500 € (new unspeakably much more). This money I have never looked back. Bite into this bullet, do it! Used is sufficient, since these large machines for a hundred thousand or more scans are interpreted.

Many colleagues fear the demand of the databases that match the description of the scans or photos must be associated with the book number. Here again an hour should be recognized where you learn the correct insertion of the first signature boot scan and, more importantly, the automated Herunternummerieren in the book numbers' column of the OpenOffice SCV. Decrease

With Tinypic (free) the images in seconds down. Sies not even try with Irfan, much too complicated. Tinypic!

So now we have ince a very important condition - the size, which is expected to apply exactly to all elderly and / or difficult tracks like:

RELATED TO FINALLY RECRUITED = USED TITLE:

Sort AZ with fine screening a min
pricing / discarding about Book Finder: 3 min (This includes about 3 look-up curves, since about 2 accounts, one remains)
scans including preparation and follow-1 1 / 3 min
soliciting the Grundtitelei 2 min
asterisk-onset 2 / 3 min
entry of price, Einbandart, Condition 2 min

SA. 9 1 / 2 = 10 minutes per definitely adjusted title

This 10 minutes is a pretty horrible, as far too high a reference. My feeling tells me that this is the whole point. Whether I delegate all the work (who else can really do about that?) And then has to pay the wages, or if I'm sitting on the box itself - is because at least come out a cleaning woman pay for me?

The median sales price of the goods in this way, gross self-experiment is about at 24 Eur

Yesterday I entered the 42 tracks in ZVAB, Abebooks and are now awaiting the result. I suspect that it is verheerendausfallen.

A lot of the usual relativizing arguments ("is yet again different from any colleague") off I think I have by careful experiment. Now everyone can check the reference for himself. And old theology as an area at least still in the lower mediocrity of popularity , provided it is screened carefully, have not done well as ego.

is the result, in my estimation, be about 2-3% selling titles - and the unprofitable our work under current market conditions occur then clearly evident.

If it should be, then I can make more using the standards to which I gave myself an investigation of the market.

This will be the second part of the small self-test. We need to get out

, why we get rid of medium contain one of the shameful way in so small measure . There are reasons. Know we are, we can think of concrete measures for boosting sales.

first but I need the results of this small essay, which I'm glad you put in the picture.




For the Photo "self test" I thank Landsbytossen, have borrowed out of ego.

0 comments:

Post a Comment